Summer Of Sketching 2016 Begins!
It's official! Today we kick off the project for it's third year in a row.
What started as fun outdoor drawing practice has grown into a community challenge for adventurous artists and designers around the world. I couldn't be more excited to get this started!
Ready? Here's your challenge:
- Visit a new place and create (at least) one sketch each week, using your experience as inspiration.
- Post your sketches to Instagram using #summerofsketching in the caption. (This will automatically enter you for the giveaway later this summer.)
- Check back on the hashtag to see what's inspiring the rest of us. Don't be shy — comment and make some new friends.
I hope you will use this as a fun way to jumpstart a new personal project and explore your surroundings. Personally, I'm pumped to skateboard around to each new spot and share new stories through each post.
A few guidelines:
- If it's too hot to sketch outdoors, or perhaps you're a vampire, you can still participate and just explore the great indoors.
- Post as many sketches as you want and make sure to include the background in your photo for context.
- If you're a busy beaver, feel free to hit two birds with one stone and use this time to sketch for other projects.
- This goes without saying, but please don't copy or repost another artist's work as your own.
- Push yourself, and have fun. That's what it's all about!
Now that we've got all of the rules out of the way, I'm excited to share with you two new products for sale that will make the series even more enjoyable.
Introducing the official tool of Summer of Sketching.
These jumbo pencils have a triangular barrel with a B (medium weight) graphite core. The untreated cedar wood also smells really nice (but don't try and smell your screen).
Fun fact: these were manufactured in Japan, in the same factory currently producing the famous Blackwing pencils.
I've been testing them out the last couple months, and although they haven't given me any magical lettering powers, they certainly are one of my favorite new tools. As soon as you get it in the mail, you'll understand why I love these so much.
Take your ideas with you.
My friends at Baron Fig sure know how to make quality sketchbooks. They are also genuinely nice people. When I decided I was going to make these products, I knew exactly who to call.
Theeir pocket sketchbooks are made of 48 durable, dot-grid pages. There a few perforated sheets at the back, which are translucent enough to use like tracing paper to refine your work.
The SoS logo is embossed on the front cover of this limited edition, and inside the book there's a printed insert with details about the challenge.
Get the combo!
I've only made 50 of these packages that include both the sketchbook and the pencil, so make sure to get one while they last.
All of the profit from these sales will go directly back into the project for future products and events. And if you are on my newsletter, you will be the first to know these updates.
Take on the challenge with your friends.
If you're excited about Summer of Sketching, get your friends on board by sharing about the project online. Make sure to tag me, or feel free to use this handy tweet link.
Thanks so much for coming along for the ride. Now let's get out and make stuff!